Benefits of Chia Seeds for Skin
The benefits of Chia seeds for skin have been known for centuries. Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain seed. These seeds contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium. Overall, they are a very small superfood. They have a nutty flavor, so they can be easily added to different foods. Commonly, people put chia seeds on cereal, yogurt, and mix it into baked goods.
There are benefits of chia seeds for the skin as well as other benefits people have seen. The chia seeds have been found to reduce swelling. Also, it has antioxidants properties, which help to reduce damage to the skin. In addition, the omega-3 fatty acids in chia can help with healing blemishes on the skin.
Dangers of Chia Seeds
Because chia seeds are natural, people think that they are automatically safe. But, there are some problems that can develop when using chia seeds. These problems are only a concern when you are ingesting chia seeds.
Side effects of chia seeds to look for include:
- Stomach Issues. Because of the fiber in chia seeds, it can either cause constipation or diarrhea. When eating chia seeds, patients should drink plenty of water in the day to be sure they don’t get constipated.
- Because of the omega-3 fatty acids in chia seeds, a patient can see a little blood thinning. If you notice bleeding more often, please talk to your doctor.
- Affect Blood Sugar. If you have diabetes, chia seeds may interact with your medicine. Please talk with your doctor about using chia seeds.
- Some patients may be allergic to chia seeds. Just like any food, you may be allergic.
- Pregnancy Issues. There is not enough information about chia seeds in pregnant women. To be safe, pregnant women should avoid chia seeds.
How Much Chia Seeds Per Day
In most studies, patients are given 25 grams of chia seed, which is a little less than an ounce. This is the recommended amount to eat every day. But, the amount that is right for you may be more or less. You should speak with a doctor to get more information.
In conclusion, the benefits of Chia seeds for skin exist along with many other benefits. One of the benefits is helping to keep your skin healthy and youthful.
For more information about the potential benefit of chia seeds, and using it, please visit Just Health Experts to live chat with doctor.
Written by Dr. Larisa Roybal, PharmD
Dr. Larisa Roybal is a Doctor of Pharmacy graduate of the University of Colorado. She has experience in clinical pharmacy, medical information, and drug safety.
LinkedIn Profile Link: www.linkedin.com/in/larisa-roybal