Herbal Teas to Avoid During Pregnancy?
If you are wondering, what herbal teas to avoid during pregnancy, please read this review or you may talk to a doctor online to find out if the tea you are drinking is safe to take while you are pregnant. Doctors are available for questions at Just Health Experts.
Herbal tea, in general, is usually safe in pregnancy, and there are some benefits that drinking tea can provide for you and your baby.
Herbal tea is a good source of water. For that moms-to-be who do not like to drink plain water, having herbal tea could be a nice option to make sure you are drinking enough. Herbal teas can also have nutrients that may be helpful for the baby and safe pregnancy. This is also a good alternative for moms who are used to drinking a hot beverage with caffeine.
There are a few herbal teas that pregnant women should stay away from though, and the list is included here:
- Pennyroyal Tea. This herb can contractions as well as menstruation.
- Licorice Root Tea. This herb can cause the baby to be born prematurely.
- Sage Tea. This product can raise your blood pressure, and as a result, lead to a miscarriage.
- Slippery Elm Bark. One of the types of elm bark can cause a miscarriage.
- Chicory Root Tea. This tea can also cause menstruation and a miscarriage. This is one of the most harmful herbs, and it has been found to be mixed in a lot of herbal tea blends. When buying an herbal tea be sure to look for this in the listed ingredients.
- Yellow Dock Tea. This tea can cause diarrhea, which might cause problems for mom and baby if they become dehydrated.
Herbal teas can contain other ingredients in them which might cause problems for mom or baby. It is important to have an herbal tea checked by a doctor before drinking it to make sure it is safe.
Herbal Teas to Avoid During Pregnancy
There are a few herbal teas that are safe to drink during pregnancy. Here are a few you can try:
- Chamomile Tea
- Lemon Balm Tea
- Dandelion Tea
- Nettle Tea
- Rooibos Tea
- Peppermint Tea
- Ginger Tea
- Raspberry Leaf Tea
The herbal teas that can be used during pregnancy can work to help with different symptoms. Some can be used for upset stomach, others are better for trouble sleeping or joint pain. If you still have questions about what herbal teas should be avoided during pregnancy, please visit Just Health Experts to talk to a doctor online.
Written by Dr. Larisa Roybal, PharmD
Dr. Larisa Roybal is a Doctor of Pharmacy graduate from the University of Colorado. She has experience in clinical pharmacy, medical information, and drug safety
LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/larisa-roybal